Here are our 4 tips to help you study more effectively.
TAKE CONTROL, ORGANIZE YOURSELF!
- Make a study guide (i.e. outline and organize course material)
- Set yourself a schedule (weekly, monthly plans)
- Help yourself get motivated by setting yourself goals
- Choose a location that allows you to focus
GENERATE A POSITIVE ATTITUDE
- Be an active learner, ask teachers/lecturers questions
- Reward yourself when you achieve your goals
- Don’t get down on yourself if you’re having trouble! Change your focus, take a break, but most of all stay positive!
FOCUS ON UNDERSTANDING THEN MEMORISING
- The details are hard to learn without the concepts so don’t try to memorize everything off the bat!
- Focus on understanding the key concepts, after this the details will be much easier to learn
- Once you’ve understood everything, learn the nitty-gritty
- Remember, the tools that worked for yr.12 won’t necessarily work for University
USE HELPFUL TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES
- For math study use the following technique: Preview, Read, Examples, Summarize and Problems.
- For non-math study use: Survey, Question, Read, Recite and Review.
- Create graphs, diagrams, flashcards and list of key vocabulary
- Study in groups. Two minds are better than one, and three better again! By pooling resources you can save time, and improve your results!